[Support-mirrors] New mirror - Scott Braynard at HostingZero

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 00:52:27 EDT 2005

On 9/24/05, Tom Copeland <tom at infoether.com> wrote:
> Just a heads up that now there are four mirrors in the rotation -
> Scott Braynard has set up a new mirror at HostingZero to help share
> the load. Thanks Scott!
>
> By the way, does anyone have an estimate of how much they've been
> serving per month? I've been thinking that we totalled 200 GB per
> month, but maybe we're over that now?

Well, I'm a bit shocked, actually... these are Mb served from the
billing date.

    09/09/2005     2,705.00
    09/10/2005     2,062.00
    09/11/2005     1,943.00
    09/12/2005     2,886.00
    09/13/2005     3,063.00
    09/14/2005     5,734.00
    09/15/2005     3,095.00
    09/16/2005     2,945.00
    09/17/2005     1,975.00
    09/18/2005     1,868.00
    09/19/2005     2,520.00
    09/20/2005     2,904.00
    09/21/2005     3,639.00
    09/22/2005     2,501.00
    09/23/2005     2,365.00
    Total         42,205.00

For the month of September, I've served 3,650 copies of ruby182-15.exe.
Nothing else is comparable in size. For the year to date, it's not much
different: 25,712 copies of ruby182-14.exe, 17,885 copies of
ruby182-15.exe, and 1,062 copies of ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz. The top *thirty*
requests on this account are for RubyForge files for the last nine
months. There have been 71,916 copies of ruby182-15.exe served, so I
have served about 25% of them; over the last month, 15,386
ruby182-1[45].exe have been served and my share -- just based on the
served ruby182-15.exe copies -- is about 23%.

After the second mirror was added in February, my bandwidth usage
dropped from 95Gb (68,735 requests, 1.38Mb per request) to 51 Gb (65,085
requests, 0.78Mb per request). It climbed through April to about 48Gb
(163,840 requests, 0.30Mb per request) and dropped in May -- I'm
presuming with the addition of the third mirror -- to 40Gb (255,990
requests, 0.15Mb per request). It has, however, steadily climbed again
so that there were 68Gb served in August and 61Gb served so far in
September (310,531 requests, 0.22Mb per request in August; 273,305
requests, 0.22Mb per request *so far* in September).

I don't expect to see a drop again in bandwidth until the October
timeframe, now that the fourth mirror has been added.

If others are experiencing similar to me, we're busting 200Mb served
monthly and have been since July or August. Tom, I'd suggest that
RubyForge will want to find a fifth mirror around January.

-austin
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca