[Support-mirrors] GEM mirroring

Robby Russell robby.lists at planetargon.com
Mon Oct 17 18:18:28 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 14:57 -0700, Evan Webb wrote:
> I've brought it up before, but recent discussions are making me ask
> again: Any thoughts about gem mirroring? I mentioned it to Chad, he
> seemed to think it would be fairly easy. I'm happy to code it up, but
> I'd like to discuss the logistics first.
> Here's my thoughts.
> * GEMS are mirrored Out of band of the the actual gem download
> process, probably using the existing rsync setup the rest of rubyforge
> mirroring is using.
> * The mirror gem server then just serves up random 3xx HTTP Redirects
> to the other gem servers (which would include a normal gem server
> running on another port of the rubyforge gem server)
> Since rubygems use Net::HTTP, the HTTP Redirect should work without
> having to change any clients (this would of course have to be tested).
> Hows this sound?
>  - Evan Webb

What happens if the main RubyForge gem site isn't responding for some
reason? Have you considered some sort of round-robin DNS trickery?

* Robby Russell, Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON, Open Source Solutions & Web Hosting
* Portland, Oregon | p: 503.351.4730 | f: 815.642.4068
* www.planetargon.com | www.robbyonrails.com
* Programming Rails | www.programmingrails.com