[Support-mirrors] GEM mirroring

Evan Webb evanwebb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 17:57:07 EDT 2005

I've brought it up before, but recent discussions are making me ask
again: Any thoughts about gem mirroring? I mentioned it to Chad, he
seemed to think it would be fairly easy. I'm happy to code it up, but
I'd like to discuss the logistics first.

Here's my thoughts.
* GEMS are mirrored Out of band of the the actual gem download
process, probably using the existing rsync setup the rest of rubyforge
mirroring is using.
* The mirror gem server then just serves up random 3xx HTTP Redirects
to the other gem servers (which would include a normal gem server
running on another port of the rubyforge gem server)

Since rubygems use Net::HTTP, the HTTP Redirect should work without
having to change any clients (this would of course have to be tested).

Hows this sound?

 - Evan Webb
When I do good, I feel good;  when I do bad, I feel bad,
and that is my religion.
    -- Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)