[Support-mirrors] Gem mirror

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:36:20 EST 2005

Dennis Oelkers wrote:

> In fact it is quite similar to a read-only entry, you just have to
> add a secrets
> file and a list of allowed users. One thing you have to bear in mind
> is, that
> the user rsync is running as has to be allowed to read and write to the
> directories and files I am supposed to update.

This is really quite foreign to me; what happened to the idea of mirrors
simply fetching new/changed files by running an rsync cron job?

> A definition like this should be sufficient:
> # this is the head of the config file
> uid = rubyforge-owner
> gid = rubyforge-owner

A definition "like this" goes where?

> # this is the entry for the rubyforge repository
> [file-mirror]
>    path = /var/www/rubyforge/htdocs
>    auth users = rubyforge
>    secrets file = /var/www/rubyforge/etc/rsync.secrets
>    hosts allow = rubyforge.lauschmusik.de
>    hosts deny = *

In what file?

> where rubyforge-owner is the user/group which owns (or at least has
> read/write-access to) the path and /var/www/rubyforge/etc/rsync.secrets
> looks like:
> rubyforge:mightysecretpassword
> One thing you could add is the chroot option for the entry of the
> repository,
> so that rsyncd chroot()s to the path of it when it is accessed, YMMV
> though.

I can see I'll be playing sys admin here, not my favorite role.

> I hope this helps a bit, if there is need for further support, please
> feel free
> to contact me.

Do I need to have rsyncd running at all times?
Do I need to create  a special user account for the rsync client?
Do I need to explicitly open certain ports?
Does my mirror directory need special permissions?