[Support-mirrors] Distributed Mirroring ;)

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:12:20 EST 2005

On 11/2/05, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom Copeland wrote:
>  > Hi Austin -
>  > Currently yours is the only mirror which I'm pushing files via FTP -
>  > everyone else is pulling data from RubyForge using rysnc.
>  >
>  > But yup, as Dennis gets a chance, he can coordinate pushing files to the
>  > other folks and they can stop pulling from RubyForge.  Good times...
> What are the pros and cons of ftp vs. rsync?

FTP has a low overhead; rsync has a high overhead (in terms of CPU).
Some of us, however, don't have an option for rsync on the pipe we're
using. (When my current contract term for halostatue.info is up -- 24
months to go, I think -- I'll look at upgrading to something I could
use with rsync; as it is now, it's WAY too cheap to upgrade now.)

I'd prefer rsync or even zsync (where the CPU load is placed mostly on
the client), but that's just not an option for this host.

-austin
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca