[Support-mirrors] Distributed Mirroring ;)

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:48:15 EST 2005

Tom Copeland wrote:
 > Hi Austin -
 > Currently yours is the only mirror which I'm pushing files via FTP -
 > everyone else is pulling data from RubyForge using rysnc.
 > But yup, as Dennis gets a chance, he can coordinate pushing files to the
 > other folks and they can stop pulling from RubyForge.  Good times...

What are the pros and cons of ftp vs. rsync?

Is the idea that as new/changed files appear, then are ftp'd from one
mirror to another?

How do we handle deleted gems?

How many gem versions should a mirror hold?  For example, does each
mirror need to have versions 0.1.0 to 0.25.0, and onwards, of Nitro?

I believe an advantage to rsync over ftp is that file deletions, when
occurring at a source, are invoked at the sync client as well (or at at
least that is an option, so that both ends are indeed mirrors).

Note to self:  This is one of those lists where one must remember to hit
'reply to all' every single time.    :(