[Support-mirrors] Gem mirror

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Wed Nov 2 10:08:44 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 08:02 -0700, James Britt wrote:
> What is the preferred format for the URL?  Just something that ends in
> '/gems/'?  SUuh as:
> http://www.30secondrule.com/ruby/mirror/gems

> What happens if a user goes to install a gem, gets a redirection to a
> mirror, and the mirror is down?

Hm, good question, not sure how to deal with that.  Maybe we need a
monitor thingy somewhere that tracks mirrors...

> What should my cron task look like to fetch the gems and index?  (I
> think I can find this info by digging through past E-mail, but I sort of
> hoping we can start assembling a FAQ on this, so having all this info in
> one response in the archives might be a start on that. Make it easier
> for others to start mirroring)

That's a good idea... although it might be changing now as we are moving
towards server push.

> Do people/companies offering up mirrors get some public acknowledgment
> on the rubyforge.org home page( e.g. 'Gem hosting mirrors provided by ...')?

Yup, they're listed here:

Pls let me know if I missed anyone...

> Anything else a mirror site needs to know or do?

Hm, you're right, I do need to write up a mirror doc.