[Support-mirrors] Distributed Mirroring ;)

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:54:05 EST 2005

Tom and fellow mirror-providers,

In following the discussion on mirroring RubyGems files, I made the
suggestion that we perhaps have a large pipe mirror get the initial
seed of a file and then the rest of us get it from the large pipe
mirror. This would save Tom, for example, from having to push out six
copies of Instant Rails when Curt Hibbs updates it at *35 Mb.

Unfortunately, while I have a good bandwidth allocation (100Gb per
month), I don't have the ability to rsync or otherwise pull. I have
locked down the RubyForge mirror directory, so I have no problem with
the mirror-mirror having the same authentication information that Tom
currently has for pushing. That is, Tom pushes to the mirror-mirror
(which seems to be likely to be Dennis at this point) and then we give
our mirror-auth information to Dennis and he can push to the rest of

How does everyone else feel about that?

Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca