[Support-mirrors] Gem mirror

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Wed Nov 2 09:02:09 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 16:33 +0100, Dennis Oelkers wrote:
> I would be fine with decreasing the interval.

Hm, I just checked RubyForge and there were about 30 rsync processes, so
I think some cron jobs were starting to catch up with each other.  We
may want to rsync no more than once or twice an hour...

> On the other hand we
> should think about establishing
> some sort of push- instead of pull-mechanism to update the mirrors. I
> do not have a clue how new/updated
> gems find their way to gems.rubyforge.org (ftp?)

When a user releases a file that ends with ".gem" it gets copied
to /var/www/gems/gems by a cronjob and the index gets rebuilt.

> , but maybe we should
> automate the process of updating
> the mirrors after a new/updated gem has been uploaded. (Maybe via
> rsync too?)
> It would not solve the problem of 404s perfectly, but it is as close
> as we can get with a decentralised setup.

Hm.  Server push is sounding better... I haven't set up that before, but
seems like it should be somewhat straightforward...