[Support-mirrors] Gem mirror

Dennis Oelkers dennis at lauschmusik.de
Tue Nov 1 10:33:29 EST 2005

Am 01.11.2005 um 16:24 schrieb Chad Fowler:
> Oh cool, that reminds me.  I'm running every 15 minutes at 1,15,30,
> 45 (can you do 0 with cron?  I'm never sure.) :)

You can :)

> We should probably establish a minimum interval.  The problem with
> even 15 minutes is that we might end up with 404s on attempted gem
> installs.  Any ideas on how to deal with that?

I would be fine with decreasing the interval. On the other hand we
should think about establishing
some sort of push- instead of pull-mechanism to update the mirrors. I
do not have a clue how new/updated
gems find their way to gems.rubyforge.org (ftp?), but maybe we should
automate the process of updating
the mirrors after a new/updated gem has been uploaded. (Maybe via
rsync too?)

It would not solve the problem of 404s perfectly, but it is as close
as we can get with a decentralised setup.

Kind regards,
		Dennis Oelkers
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)