[Support-admins] Change proposal regarding the Rubyforge distribution infrastructure - your input is needed

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Mon Nov 19 17:56:14 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 09:22 -0700, Chad Fowler wrote:
> > Yup.  So perhaps the RubyGems client would fetch the mirrors list from
> > somewhere and then pick one?  Maybe we'd have the mirrors list in a
> > couple of places and hardcode that list into the client, something
> > like
> > that?
> >

> I think this is a good idea.  This is what the Sources gem was
> originally meant to do.  We should probably just do it with a simple
> text file, though.

Sounds like we should move this over to rubygems-developers.  Maybe the
client can just do a HEAD on that mirrors file to get updates... and it
would only use the mirror list if the main server was down, is that
right?  That way the stats would still be mostly accurate as long as
rubyforge.org was online most of the time...

Yours,

Tom