[Support-admins] Making a mirroring change
tom at infoether.com
Mon Nov 27 14:15:33 EST 2006
Hi Dennis and all -
Hey, I'm going to make a file mirroring change on the rubyforge end.
Here's the way it works now:
- every 20 minutes a script checks the /var/www/gforge-files directory
to see if there are any new files
- if there are, it uses cp -u to copy the file into a parallel directory
tree at /usr/local/mirror/
- then it hits the /sync URL, the files get sync'd out, etc
Here's what I want to change it to:
- every 20 minutes the script will do a du -sk on /var/www/gforge-files
and compare it to a cached version in a file
- if the result changes, hit the sync script
So I need to rewrite my script and point the "file-mirror" rsync to
/var/www/gforge-files vs /usr/local/mirror.
This will save about of 5 GB disk space on rubyforge, and more
importantly it will reduce disk I/O as I'll need to do less scanning.
It'll also fix this bug:
I don't think you'll see any changes on your end, so just kind of wanted
to let you and anyone else on this list know what was going on.
More information about the Support-admins