[sup-talk] preparing for 0.7

Mark Alexander marka at pobox.com
Tue Mar 17 14:29:51 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:27 AM, William Morgan
<wmorgan-sup at masanjin.net> wrote:

> I've prepared master for an 0.7 release. If you get a chance, please try
> it out and let me know if there's anything obviously broken. The changes
> I'm most excited about are the Ferret locking (so hopefully no more
> index corruption) and being able to type long answers to Sup's
> questions.

Thanks!  I'm trying it now.

Last month I discovered sup and attempted to use it
in a serious way as a replacement for mutt.  I fed it
around 10000 messages that I had in my ~/Maildir
and tried to use it for several days.  But I kept running
into ferret-related crashes every few minutes, so I
abandoned the effort and went back to mutt.

I wasn't willing to give up completely, though, and
started to investigate the idea of replacing ferret
with Sphinx (yes, I know about the Sup-As-Service
project, but I was impatient).  I didn't get too far
with that, though (lack of time, mainly).  Sphinx
is a pain, frankly, and I was racking my brains for
ways of dealing sanely with the incremental indexing,
the matching of message IDs with Sphinx IDs, and
the XML interface.

So I'm really glad to see the new release and hope
the ferret-related bugs are gone.  So far things
look good.  It's lasted lots longer than it did before,
but I'm feeling cautious and will run it for a few more days
before considering moving away from mutt full-time.