[sup-talk] ~/.sup/sources.yaml disappearing

William Morgan wmorgan-sup at masanjin.net
Mon Jun 11 11:42:42 EDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

First let me say that I really appreciate all the feedback and I'm sorry
that Sup keeps breaking in annoying ways for you. Thanks for being
patient. Users like you are an asset!

Excerpts from jeff.covey's message of Sun Jun 10 14:57:11 -0700 2007:
> i hit "q" to quit sup while it was in the middle of doing something
> (polling for new messages, i believe), and got this:
>
> [Sun Jun 10 16:07:48 -0400 2007] good night, sweet prince!
> [Sun Jun 10 16:07:48 -0400 2007] saving index and sources...
> ./lib/sup/util.rb:313:in `send': undefined method `draw_screen' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

Ok, here's my first problem. :)

> after that, my sources.yaml was reset to nothing, and all the associated
> problems followed as before.

I believe this happens when Sup dies in the process of "saving index and
sources...". The right answer is to remove all possible the sources of
error in that process, but maybe I can also change the code to be a
little more resilient. Let me take a look.

> [0] and i had to rebuild my whole sup setup from scratch again.  :(

Sup writes a sources.yaml.bak for this very reason. I put it in in
earlier, even buggier days when this often happened to me.

--
William <wmorgan-sup at masanjin.net>