[Rubyinstaller-devel] Tackling README.txt

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:48:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Phillip Gawlowski
<cmdjackryan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy, y'all.

Hello Phillip, long time no see!
(worth mention you're sending this to RubyForge list, not Google Group)

> I'm considering tackling re-writing the README for the RubyInstaller, and
> would like to know what should be included.

That will be awesome!, you can simply start a pull request and we can
do the review process there.

> Without a lot of pondering on my end, I saw the following to revise, in no
> particular order:
> 1.) Markdown syntax, for nice GitHub formatting

> 2.) Add basic compilation instructions (an idea for the website, too. Took
> me ages to figure out that I should consult the README) and replace the
> Quick Start

If you think README needs to be split into multi documents to cover
all the scenarios, don't hesitate, Now GitHub supports markdown
linking between them, so will be more easy.

> 3.) Update the instructions for Ruby 1.9, and relegate 1.8 instructions to a
> secondary position

Yup, for the record, all the latest builds have been done using Ruby
1.9.3. Considering 1.8.7 is near EOL, will be great if we can start
killing it from our documentation ;-)

> 4.) More links (Google Group, GitHub, RubyInstaller itself)

That will be good too, specially a note that the issues section in
GitHub is about RubyInstaller itself (the installer, the dependencies)
and not Ruby, links to Ruby bug tracker will be helpful too.

> Thoughts, feedback, cross-post to RubyInstaller, too?

Actually you should post this to RubyInstaller group, since rubyforge
list has been deprecated. I'm cross-posting this to RubyInstaller
already ;-)

But your objects are great and I'm looking forward to read them (and
merge them!)