[Rubyinstaller-devel] Installing libxml-ruby gem on mingw32

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 12:30:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Mikael Rudberg <mikael at iced.se> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry if this is a bit of-topic for the actual installer. I wondered if
> anyone managed to get the libxml-ruby gem to compile on the mingw32 version
> of ruby and if so how to go by doing it?
>
> I've managed to get the compile a lot of gems with native extensions but
> libxml-ruby is complaining when i run "gem install libxml-ruby" i get
> "extconf failure: need zlib"
>
> I use : rubyinstaller-1.8.6-p383-preview1 and devkit-3.4.5r3-20090411
>
> Any suggestions are highly appreciated

libxml-ruby needs access to zlib headers and libraries to properly compile.

I'm not sure how that library has been built, but if this is the
library from Aaron Patterson, you could ping him and request a mingw32
version, since he is using rake-compiler to generate the mswin32
version of it.

Regards,