[Rubyinstaller-devel] cross compiler compatibility thought

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 18:24:44 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Had a thought about the whole "msvc versus mingw binaries compatible" thing...
> The major rules seem to be:
> * If you call ALLOC or ALLOC_N, use xfree and not free
> * Don't call sprintf or printf in an extension, instead use
> rb_f_sprintf/rb_vsprintf/rb_io_printf

Good practices, lot of libraries don't follow that.

> So my question is...can you define free to be xfree automatically, and
> not require any changes?
> like
> #define free(x) xfree(x)
> ?

Not this topic again... please.

There are other stuff like errno that cannot be shared or redefined.
We had this conversation back in 2006, 2007, 2008 and beginning of
this year at Ruby-core.

Also, Ruby-core is not going to allow that change, simply because it
is intrusive into the CRT definitions.