[Rubyinstaller-devel] Best way of installing sqlite3-ruby gem?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat May 30 16:48:58 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Charles Roper
<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Charles Roper wrote:
>  > I was having serious troubles running the rake commands. Turns out I
>> needed to add the bin folder in GCC in the devkit to my path. I hadn't
>> already done this because I assumed that installing the devkit (and the .bat
>> files that come with it) in the Ruby folder would do this for me. Obviously
>> not.
> Actually, looking at the file in C:\ruby\devkit\bin\gcc.bat I see that it
> should configure the paths on-the-fly, but clearly for me that wasn't
> working.
> Seems that Rake::ExtensionCompiler.mingw_gcc_executable is returning false.
> I had a quick look at that method and to my inexperienced eye, it looks like
> it is actively looking for *mingw*gcc{,.*} (i.e., mingw32-gcc.exe) in the
> path, which it obviously can't find.
> I tried adding a mingw32-gcc.bat file (similar to the gcc file) to
> c:\ruby\bin but this made the dlltool method fail (it ends up trying to look
> for dlltool.exe in c:\ruby\bin).
> Is there a way of specifying the location of mingw_gcc_executable without
> having to add it to my path? Or shall I just permanently add it to my path?

The batch files bundled in devkit make RubyGems install procedure
work, but will fail while building sqlite3-ruby or mysql-gem from

mingw32-gcc.bat can be similar to gcc.bat and mingw32-dlltool.bat can
be placed there too.

To workaround all those batch files, I have one that alters the path
only when requested called "add-mingw.bat" which add gcc\bin and
msys\bin to the path.

Working right now on solve fat binaries for binary gems, after that
going to fix sqlite3-ruby and do a release and announcement.