[Rubyinstaller-devel] Best way of installing sqlite3-ruby gem?

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Sat May 30 08:37:48 EDT 2009

Success! Thanks for the advice Roger.

Roger Pack wrote:
> 1) install wget or curl

I already had curl - it's part of the git distrubution

> 2) install unzip.exe (cygwin unzip package, put cygwin\bin in your path)

I didn't like the idea of including cygwin in my path (I think Luis
strongly discourages it too), so I downloaded it from here:

> 3) install rake compiler
> 4) rake vendor:sqlite3
> 5) rake native gem

I was having serious troubles running the rake commands. Turns out I
needed to add the bin folder in GCC in the devkit to my path. I hadn't
already done this because I assumed that installing the devkit (and the
.bat files that come with it) in the Ruby folder would do this for me.
Obviously not.

> 6) gem install pkg/xxx.gem
> suh weet sqlite3 on 1.9 even.

Truly. Thanks Roger, and especially thanks to Luis for providing such
sexy tools. ;-)