[Rubyinstaller-devel] Heroku

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:09:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Charles Roper
<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>> One of the glitches with Heroku is not Heroku itself but json.
>> I'll really great someone contact the json gem author and make him
>> upgrade the gem to use rake-compiler, so native binaries can be
>> distributed (hint hint)
> Hehe, I contanted Florian, the author, and he got back sounding a little
> confused saying he was already using rake-compiler. Turns out, JSON 1.1.6 is
> working fine on Windows (mingw32 and mswin32). Look:

Awesome! added to the list of gems using rake-compiler:

> [...]
> How would he go about providing a native mingw extension?

In version 0.5.0 of rake-compiler he can target both mingw32 and mswin32.

Exact documentation for now:

> BTW, what is the canonical way of detecting for Windows these days? Is it
> like this?
> RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /mswin32|mingw32/

Yes: /mingw|mswin/

The "32" part should be avoided, since there is mswin64_90 version
(VC9) and also mingw64 (which need to get it properly working).

> Cheers,
> Charles

Cheers and thank you for all the administrative effort getting in
touch with json author,