[Rubyinstaller-devel] Heroku

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Thu May 28 13:26:18 EDT 2009

Luis Lavena wrote:
> One of the glitches with Heroku is not Heroku itself but json.
>
> I'll really great someone contact the json gem author and make him
> upgrade the gem to use rake-compiler, so native binaries can be
> distributed (hint hint)

Hehe, I contanted Florian, the author, and he got back sounding a little
confused saying he was already using rake-compiler. Turns out, JSON
1.1.6 is working fine on Windows (mingw32 and mswin32). Look:

C:\Ruby18\bin>gem install json
Successfully installed json-1.1.6
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for json-1.1.6...

No definition for cState_configure

No definition for cState_configure
Installing RDoc documentation for json-1.1.6...

No definition for cState_configure

No definition for cState_configure

C:\Ruby18\bin>gem install heroku
Successfully installed heroku-0.9.2
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for heroku-0.9.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for heroku-0.9.2...

C:\Ruby18\bin>gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

configuration (0.0.5)
heroku (0.9.2)
json (1.1.6)
launchy (0.3.3)
rake (0.8.7)
rest-client (0.9.2)

C:\Ruby18\bin>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2009-03-31 patchlevel 368) [i386-mingw32]

C:\Ruby18\bin>gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

configuration (0.0.5)
heroku (0.9.2)
json (1.1.6)
launchy (0.3.3)
rake (0.8.7)
rest-client (0.9.2)
---

How would he go about providing a native mingw extension?

>> So that's why I think some sort of sponsorship from Heroku would be a
>> perfect match.
>>
>> Should I ask them if they're interested?
 >

> Yeah, for sure!

I've asked Pedro, the dev for the heroku gem for a contact. Hopefully
they'll be interested, if not, no harm done. :)

BTW, what is the canonical way of detecting for Windows these days? Is
it like this?

RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /mswin32|mingw32/

Cheers,
Charles