[Rubyinstaller-devel] Heroku

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu May 28 07:42:33 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Charles Roper
<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Hey guys,

Hi Charles,

> In an attempt to try and do something constructive for the community I
> looked into installing Radiant on the free Heroku account ("Blossom" + 1
> dyno = $0 -- sweet).
> The results and ease of deployment were surprising. For the test I used the
> "roasters" bootstrap site that comes with Radiant. Check it out:
> [...]

Awesome stuff!

> There were a few hiccups along the way which, thankfully, were fixable. The
> Heroku guys are putting some effort into Windows compatibility for their
> client gems, although there are a few glitches still. See here (and my
> comment on there):
> http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/?p=92

One of the glitches with Heroku is not Heroku itself but json.

I'll really great someone contact the json gem author and make him
upgrade the gem to use rake-compiler, so native binaries can be
distributed (hint hint)

> Overall, the fact that you can get a Rack-based app up and running quickly,
> easily and for free on Heroku without all of the hassles of servers and
> suchlike is *huge*. Part of what made PHP so massive was that drag-and-drop
> ease of deployment.

Yeah, couldn't be much simpler, I mean, instant staging environment to
test things out.

> Then there's the fact that you don't have to freeze gems into your app; you
> just supply a .gems manifest instead and the gems get installed for you
> natively. For my test push of Radiant, this worked flawlessly.
> http://docs.heroku.com/gems

That is even more awesome!

> So all of this goodness combines to make an experience that would be really
> appealing to Windows-based Rubyists. Install Ruby with the OCI, then have an
> app deployed and running in the net in minutes. That's a pretty cool
> experience to be offering potential Ruby users.

Indeed it is.

> So that's why I think some sort of sponsorship from Heroku would be a
> perfect match.
> Should I ask them if they're interested?

Yeah, for sure!

The website is going to be a Radiant application, a few images and
outsource video embeds, so no need to get a huge server :-)

> Charles

Thank you Charles for your feedback and willingness to contribute
back. You have proven your point about Heroku :-)