[Rubyinstaller-devel] Heroku

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Thu May 28 04:07:11 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

In an attempt to try and do something constructive for the community I
looked into installing Radiant on the free Heroku account ("Blossom" + 1
dyno = $0 -- sweet).

The results and ease of deployment were surprising. For the test I used
the "roasters" bootstrap site that comes with Radiant. Check it out:

Have a play with the admin interface:

user: oneclick
pass: oneclick

To me, seeing as it is running on a completely free account, that site
is working pretty nicely.

I followed these instructions to get it up and running:

There were a few hiccups along the way which, thankfully, were fixable.
The Heroku guys are putting some effort into Windows compatibility for
their client gems, although there are a few glitches still. See here
(and my comment on there):

Overall, the fact that you can get a Rack-based app up and running
quickly, easily and for free on Heroku without all of the hassles of
servers and suchlike is *huge*. Part of what made PHP so massive was
that drag-and-drop ease of deployment.

Then there's the fact that you don't have to freeze gems into your app;
you just supply a .gems manifest instead and the gems get installed for
you natively. For my test push of Radiant, this worked flawlessly.

So all of this goodness combines to make an experience that would be
really appealing to Windows-based Rubyists. Install Ruby with the OCI,
then have an app deployed and running in the net in minutes. That's a
pretty cool experience to be offering potential Ruby users.

So that's why I think some sort of sponsorship from Heroku would be a
perfect match.

Should I ask them if they're interested?