[Rubyinstaller-devel] One-Click Ruby Installer needs a new home, can you help him?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue May 26 21:41:04 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Charles Roper
<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>> [...]
>> Didn't know about that website, thank you. Anyhow, I cannot use
>> CrowdSping to collect the money, which is why Pledgie is good for.
> The value in CrowdSpring is the community of designers that hang out there.
> There is a pool of very capable designers who are eager to work on projects
> like this and CrowdSpring reaches right into the heart of that community.

I think the upcoming weeks will define if asking for the mockup at the
GitHub wiki page and the pledgie are enough.

I guess, as you pointed, those are not high visibility places for
designers to participate, and I see CrowdSpring as the tool.

I will give a few more weeks of time for the original idea, and if
no-one say something different or start sending some mockups, then
will keep check CrowdSpring as the alternative.

FYI: Ideally I'm targeting July 19, 2009 to get the new website, so
poll and design must be finished prior that.

I'll love some suggestions and tips on better handle this to keep the
whole thing clear and clean since lot of contribution has been made.

> OK, fair enough. I was looking at it from the perspective of a designer who
> has done client work for individuals rather than a whole community. I know
> that it can be really, *really* helpful knowing the kind of aesthetic the
> client was hoping for. They *always* have some idea. ;) But I appreciate
> you're not the client as such, right? The client is the community.

Well, I like some of these sites, but still don't know what community
will like to.

I just put the initial guidelines :-)

>> Also, don't want to make RubyInstaller looks like Rails, Ruby is more
>> than Rails, and One-Click Installer should keep in that way.
> Yeah, what I was getting at here wasn't the details of each design, but a
> kind of 'feel' present in each site. I'm not saying any of them are good
> sites particularly, but I am saying they have a similar theme in the way
> they look. When you land on one of these sites, your brain unconsciously
> tells you, "OK, I'm on a Ruby related site". Each is different, and does
> different things, but each looks "Ruby-ish", you know? But perhaps it
> doesn't matter - hopefully the designers that come forward will be
> experienced enough to recognise that this site needs to sit comfortably
> within the Ruby community and not be a complete odd-ball. :)

Yeah, in the Ruby-mood is going to be a big win :-D

> I'm looking forward to seeing the contributions. :)

Me too!