[Rubyinstaller-devel] One-Click Ruby Installer needs a new home, can you help him?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri May 22 17:11:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Charles Roper
<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>
>> I decided that the best for the project is going to be a public
>> contest/challenge/competition with polls for voting. See my reply to
>> Michal about it.
>
> You want to perhaps be a little bit cautious of a competition because voters
> inevitably vote for eye-candy and fail to consider other more subtle issues,
> such as context, continuity and ease of build/maintenance.

In the Web 2.0 era, ease of use and eye-candy are part of it.

> Also, how far would you want entrants to go? Would the expectation be for
> them to build an entire site? Would they do full IA with wireframes? Or just
> templates? Or templates + HTML/CSS?

All this is here:

http://pledgie.com/campaigns/4435

> If you really do want to go down the competition route and you have some
> cash to dedicate, you might want to consider CrowdSpring:
> http://www.crowdspring.com/

Didn't know about that website, thank you. Anyhow, I cannot use
CrowdSping to collect the money, which is why Pledgie is good for.

> Here is an example of a t-shirt site competition: http://tr.im/m4ZY
>
> The key in this (and any creative endeavour, for that matter) is in the
> brief. What you've done so far is great, but I would also extend it by
> providing 5 sites you like and 5 sites you don't like. That will give
> designers a much better idea of what (and what you're not) after.

I don't want to narrow and limite the creativity by 5 sites I like or
not. As I commented before, don't want my personal taste (or lack of)
limit what the community will love to have.

> I would say that it would be advantageous to tap into the 'Ruby aesthetic'
> in order to preserve a sense of brand and continuity. Check out these 5 for
> instance:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
> http://ruby-toolbox.com/
> http://guides.rubyonrails.org/
> http://www.engineyard.com/
> http://rubyonrails.org/

Good point, but:

ruby-lang.org is overwhelming and sometimes confusing. Just to get to
the ruby-core page to know how to contribute takes you time.

ruby-toolbox.com: and you worried about aesthetics over good UI
design? That site is a classic 2.0 design.

guides.rubyonrails.org are good prove that sometimes
kind-of-wiki-content can be aesthetically be pretty, but is not the
website of a tool, language or solution: is a documentation place and
documentation is prioritized.

Also, don't want to make RubyInstaller looks like Rails, Ruby is more
than Rails, and One-Click Installer should keep in that way.

> There is definitely a sense of continuity there, but each one is distinct in
> its own way.
>
> I think I mentioned to you before that I would be willing to help with the
> site, but that just hasn't panned out for me. I would be able to help in
> advising on the brief and on the designs and so on, though.

Thank you for the offer, feel free to comment on the pledgie description.

I wanted to get the ball rolling, and avoid RubyInstaller stagnate.

> One final thought, have you thought of approaching someone like Heroku for
> some sponsored hosting? I'm sure they would probably like to put their name
> to a high-profile project like this, and the easy-to-deploy, 'instant'
> nature of Heroku would be a good match for the OCI.

My first point is get RubyInstaller a decent website, hosting hasn't
been a priority for me right now, since I can afford it.

If Heroku or EngineYard want to offer their help, community will be happy :-)

The hosting provider should be able to support a Radiant application
(which is built with Rails).

> Charles

Thank you Charles for your words and looking forward hear from you
about the pledgie description (or even promotion of this).

Cheers,