[Rubyinstaller-devel] One-Click Ruby Installer needs a new home, can you help him?

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Fri May 22 04:57:09 EDT 2009

Luis Lavena wrote:

> I decided that the best for the project is going to be a public
> contest/challenge/competition with polls for voting. See my reply to
> Michal about it.

You want to perhaps be a little bit cautious of a competition because
voters inevitably vote for eye-candy and fail to consider other more
subtle issues, such as context, continuity and ease of build/maintenance.

Also, how far would you want entrants to go? Would the expectation be
for them to build an entire site? Would they do full IA with wireframes?
Or just templates? Or templates + HTML/CSS?

If you really do want to go down the competition route and you have some
cash to dedicate, you might want to consider CrowdSpring:

Here is an example of a t-shirt site competition: http://tr.im/m4ZY

The key in this (and any creative endeavour, for that matter) is in the
brief. What you've done so far is great, but I would also extend it by
providing 5 sites you like and 5 sites you don't like. That will give
designers a much better idea of what (and what you're not) after.

I would say that it would be advantageous to tap into the 'Ruby
aesthetic' in order to preserve a sense of brand and continuity. Check
out these 5 for instance:

There is definitely a sense of continuity there, but each one is
distinct in its own way.

I think I mentioned to you before that I would be willing to help with
the site, but that just hasn't panned out for me. I would be able to
help in advising on the brief and on the designs and so on, though.

One final thought, have you thought of approaching someone like Heroku
for some sponsored hosting? I'm sure they would probably like to put
their name to a high-profile project like this, and the easy-to-deploy,
'instant' nature of Heroku would be a good match for the OCI.