[Rubyinstaller-devel] One-Click Ruby Installer needs a new home, can you help him?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:56:36 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz> wrote:
> 2009/5/20 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
>

>> So, in better words I think I going to run this as a Bounty/Contest/Challenge:
>>
>> I'm going to open a Pledgie, and put some money there. This means the
>> designers that want to participate will need to be able to collect
>> money using Paypal.
>>
>> Next, Designers can create mockups of the homepage, and use "as
>> inspiration" the logo/branding for the installer that already exist:
>>
>> http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/03/29/progress-of-one-click-installer-rubyinstaller/
>
> I think asking for mockups is the wrong thing to do. I am not sure a
> good tool for eveluating future web design exists but to me it looks
> like mockups are not the tool.
>
> There is a disturbing tendency to design web pages as flyers and then
> forcing the flyer into HTML without regard to web functionality.
>
> Don't get me wrong. I know that good colour balance is also part of
> functionality. However, adding right style to a working web is
> relatively easy due to CSS but making a good looking web usable tends
> to be very challenging. Often the desire to make the page look like
> the flyer on which it is based sacrifices much in the functionality,
> ease of use and compatibility departments.
>
> There are probably some designers that are somewhat aware that the web
> has its specifics but judging from the state of  pages I visit there
> are very few who actually understand the web.

That's why the mockups are about the distribution of the content I
mention for the homepage and also, community will be the one selecting
the which one is the best one.

Consider the mockup as the initial wireframing, the distribution of
the elements, not the HTML+CSS.

As you mention, the styling can be corrected at any time, the
importance is the information itself.

If you have a better idea, not just considering the wrong option, be
my guess and propose it. The idea and the goals are the same: help get
Ruby Installer a new web site.

> Thanks
>
> Michal

Cheers,