[Rubyinstaller-devel] One-Click Ruby Installer needs a new home, can you help him?

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Tue May 19 10:24:29 EDT 2009

2009/5/19 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz> wrote:
>> 2009/5/19 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
>>> So, I’m bringing this topic to the table, seeking for ideas on how to
>>> improve the Ruby on Windows image beyond just code.
>>>
>>> I’m willing to offer money to pay for it, since I’m quite aware that
>>> Open Source and contributions don’t put food on the table.
>>>
>>> Of course, I’m not rich, so the balance needs to be found :D
>>>
>>> So, what is the idea:
>>>
>>>    * Build the website with Radiant or a simple CMS over Ruby
>>
>> Building a web site is one thing but running it is another.
>
> I'm going to take care of the hosting.
>
>> Do you already have some hosting, or are you seeking a complete solution?
>
> Well, again hosting is going to be out of my pocket too, so if a
> generous company thinks that One-Click Ruby Installer deserves a
> homepage and they could host it, will be awesome, but I'm not holding
> my breath.

I think that hosting a web site (as opposed a download site) is not
completely out of question.

However, it is necessary to know what kind of hosting is required.

Still if you hosted the site yourself it would be sort of reassuring
to know that as long as the the installer is going forward the site is
likely to stay, too.

>> If you do have one what are the features it provides, or what do you
>> expect from the new one?
>>

> Well, the Wiki is unattractive, and hard to maintain. Doing gardering
> on the wiki takes longer, even with the help of some contributors in
> the past.
>
> The website idea is offer, clean and simple a door to Ruby on Windows
> resources, which is often hard to find, mostly due lack of integration
> or growth on ruby-lang to hold this different things.
>

>>>    * Design needs to be simple and provide access to:
>>>         1. News feed (small articles)
>>>         2. Download info and links
>>>         3. Getting Started Resources (info and links)
>>>         4. Contribute (RubyForge and GitHub info)
>>>         5. Support (access to mailing list and forums of interest)
>>
>> Here it seems that aside the news articles everything else is hosted
>> off the website, and only interface for picking articles on these
>> topics is needed.
>>

> Like a Wiki :-)

No, unlike a Wiki.

There are a couple of differences between a wiki and a newsfeed.

First, only few authorized people can typically post news articles on
a news site but next to anybody can improve or spam a Wiki.

Second, a wiki is an unorganized cloud of random (des)information bits
while a news site is more structured. It has typically articles sorted
by time and category with some reasonable selection shown on the top
page. Any attempts to force categorization on Wikis I have seen so far
proved futile.

I imagine it is possible to turn commit messages and release notes for
downloads into news articles automatically if they are hosted on a
reasonably cooperative site.

A script could easily select the newest article from each important
category to create a clean and simple top page that offers all
important information in one place.

>>>    * Initial artwork (logo and iso) already exist
>>>    * Application icons can be highly improved :D
>>
>> This is not related to the web site, is it?
>>

> Well, the logo is, the favicon is :-)

Perhaps I got too distracted by the application icon :-)

Thanks

Michal