[Rubyinstaller-devel] One-Click Ruby Installer needs a new home, can you help him?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:54:45 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz> wrote:
> 2009/5/19 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
>> Original posted on my blog:
>>
>> http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/05/19/rubyinstaller-one-clicks-need-a-new-home-can-you-help-him/
>>
>> ===
>>
>> I must say that my skills to ask for something are really lacking, and
>
> Indeed, it's not clear what you are asking ;-)

Thank you, thank you, I do my best.

>> my design skills are even worse.
>>
>> So, I’m bringing this topic to the table, seeking for ideas on how to
>> improve the Ruby on Windows image beyond just code.
>>
>> I’m willing to offer money to pay for it, since I’m quite aware that
>> Open Source and contributions don’t put food on the table.
>>
>> Of course, I’m not rich, so the balance needs to be found :D
>>
>> So, what is the idea:
>>
>>    * Build the website with Radiant or a simple CMS over Ruby
>
> Building a web site is one thing but running it is another.

I'm going to take care of the hosting.

> Do you already have some hosting, or are you seeking a complete solution?

Well, again hosting is going to be out of my pocket too, so if a
generous company thinks that One-Click Ruby Installer deserves a
homepage and they could host it, will be awesome, but I'm not holding
my breath.

> If you do have one what are the features it provides, or what do you
> expect from the new one?

Well, the Wiki is unattractive, and hard to maintain. Doing gardering
on the wiki takes longer, even with the help of some contributors in
the past.

The website idea is offer, clean and simple a door to Ruby on Windows
resources, which is often hard to find, mostly due lack of integration
or growth on ruby-lang to hold this different things.

>>    * Design needs to be simple and provide access to:
>>         1. News feed (small articles)
>>         2. Download info and links
>>         3. Getting Started Resources (info and links)
>>         4. Contribute (RubyForge and GitHub info)
>>         5. Support (access to mailing list and forums of interest)
>
> Here it seems that aside the news articles everything else is hosted
> off the website, and only interface for picking articles on these
> topics is needed.

Like a Wiki :-)

>>    * Initial artwork (logo and iso) already exist
>>    * Application icons can be highly improved :D
>
> This is not related to the web site, is it?

Well, the logo is, the favicon is :-)

> Thanks

Thanks to you!

Cheers,