[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

Roger Pack rogerdpack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:50:54 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So perhaps somebody could answer some questions for me I'm a little confused.
>> I hear things like "you can compile against any version of msvcrt.dll you want"
>> and then...the question is
>> you don't actually need to have that specific version of msvcrt.dll
>> installed in the system, by default it will just "use" the version
>> that's contained in msvcrt-ruby....dll
>> Is that right?
>> does "msvcrt-ruby...dll" contain a copy of msvcrt.dll within itself?
> msvcrt-ruby18.dll or msvcrt-ruby19.dll are not statically linked to
> MSVCRT, they are dynamically.
> Is not the linking what is the problem, but the proper memory
> management and the convention used by the share ruby library.

Ok so what I'm hearing is that say you install mingw ruby
then you install
gem install mysql --platform=mswin32
which we'll pretend was built using VC2008
it will by "use" msvcrt 6 dll for it [hence it needs to be careful
with frees and such]?  There is no need for the system to have
msvcr9.dll on it at all?

>> I'd be happy to spearhead any devkit gem, as well.
> devkit gem will a wrapper around the mssy/gcc rake tasks of
> rubyinstaller compiler, with the only difference that they will set
> the "sandbox" to a specific folder and put some batch wrapper in your
> ruby/bin folder.

how can I help?

re: errno
so does this mean that it basically *is* impossible to compile against
other msvcrt.dll's?  I.e. only one can be "blessed" as a time?