[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:15:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:

> So perhaps somebody could answer some questions for me I'm a little confused.
> I hear things like "you can compile against any version of msvcrt.dll you want"
> and then...the question is
> you don't actually need to have that specific version of msvcrt.dll
> installed in the system, by default it will just "use" the version
> that's contained in msvcrt-ruby....dll
> Is that right?
> does "msvcrt-ruby...dll" contain a copy of msvcrt.dll within itself?

msvcrt-ruby18.dll or msvcrt-ruby19.dll are not statically linked to
MSVCRT, they are dynamically.

Is not the linking what is the problem, but the proper memory
management and the convention used by the share ruby library.

> Also, was there any concensus on whether errno differences were fatal?

I didn't remember about errno until Ruby-core guys pointed that again,
bad memory from me, once more.

> Sorry to bore Luis with this stuff :)

Sorry to take me so long to get back to you, overwhelmed by work for
the past weeks, trying to catch up with everything.

> And in the end I don't care what happens.

He, well, this whole stuff is to complicated and tiring.

> I'd be happy to spearhead any devkit gem, as well.

devkit gem will a wrapper around the mssy/gcc rake tasks of
rubyinstaller compiler, with the only difference that they will set
the "sandbox" to a specific folder and put some batch wrapper in your
ruby/bin folder.

> Thanks!
> -=r

Cheers,