[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Mon Mar 16 13:53:47 EDT 2009

2009/3/16 William Green <will at hotgazpacho.org>:
> Michael,
> VC6 runtime may be on "all Windows", or available for download from
> Microsoft, but the VC6 development tools (specifically, the compiler and
> linker) are not available any longer, and I highly doubt they would even run
> on Vista. So, unless you already have a copy of the VC6 dev tools, you
> cannot obtain one now.
> This, I believe, is the reason for the MingW32 build in the first place; all
> the build tools are available, and not controlled by Microsoft.
> Luis, am I totally off-base here, am I missing something?

Yes, that's the reason for building with MinGW32. However, the
compiler normally links with the VC6 runtime and there were
suggestions to link with later runtime instead. This would make the
process of building and distributing Ruby more troublesome in my view
which is what the migw build process was supposed to avoid.

Unlike the VC6 runtime which really is in all windows even the
possibility to download the runtime from Microsoft is not of much use
for the VC2008 runtime. You might be able to install the runtime
system-wide if you are the administrator but just downloading it does
not help you.

Thanks

Michal