[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

William Green will at hotgazpacho.org
Mon Mar 16 12:15:20 EDT 2009

VC6 runtime may be on "all Windows", or available for download from
Microsoft, but the VC6 development tools (specifically, the compiler and
linker) are not available any longer, and I highly doubt they would even run
on Vista. So, unless you already have a copy of the VC6 dev tools, you
cannot obtain one now.
This, I believe, is the reason for the MingW32 build in the first place; all
the build tools are available, and not controlled by Microsoft.

Luis, am I totally off-base here, am I missing something?

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz>wrote:

> 2009/3/16 William Green <will at hotgazpacho.org>:
> > MSVC6 is no longer available from Microsoft (I've even checked my
> > Enterprisey MSDN Account... it is simply not available). This severely
> > limits the number of people who can build Ruby on Windows, if the
> dependency
> > is kept. I'm pretty sure this is why Luis embarked on the mingw32 build
> in
> > the first place.
> > If we MUST be dependent on an MS-provided C library, why not make it one
> of
> > the ones that they distribute freely (with an IDE): 2005 or 2008.
> > Question is, though, is this truly a dependency?
> Yes, it is. These are not installed in Windows (nor Wine) by default
> and you have to distribute them with Ruby for it to work. And they are
> some special beast so just downloading the dll and dropping it into
> the ruby directory is not enough if you forget to bundle it.
> On the other hand, the VC6 runtime is in all Windows so it is not a
> dependency.
> Thanks
> Michal

Will Green