[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Mon Mar 16 11:44:16 EDT 2009

2009/3/16 William Green <will at hotgazpacho.org>:
> MSVC6 is no longer available from Microsoft (I've even checked my
> Enterprisey MSDN Account... it is simply not available). This severely
> limits the number of people who can build Ruby on Windows, if the dependency
> is kept. I'm pretty sure this is why Luis embarked on the mingw32 build in
> the first place.
> If we MUST be dependent on an MS-provided C library, why not make it one of
> the ones that they distribute freely (with an IDE): 2005 or 2008.
> Question is, though, is this truly a dependency?

Yes, it is. These are not installed in Windows (nor Wine) by default
and you have to distribute them with Ruby for it to work. And they are
some special beast so just downloading the dll and dropping it into
the ruby directory is not enough if you forget to bundle it.

On the other hand, the VC6 runtime is in all Windows so it is not a dependency.

Thanks

Michal