[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

William Green will at hotgazpacho.org
Mon Mar 16 10:04:50 EDT 2009

MSVC6 is no longer available from Microsoft (I've even checked my
Enterprisey MSDN Account... it is simply not available). This severely
limits the number of people who can build Ruby on Windows, if the dependency
is kept. I'm pretty sure this is why Luis embarked on the mingw32 build in
the first place.
If we MUST be dependent on an MS-provided C library, why not make it one of
the ones that they distribute freely (with an IDE): 2005 or 2008.

Question is, though, is this truly a dependency?

Will Green
http://willgreen.mp/