[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

Roger Pack rogerdpack at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 07:40:43 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps we should [regardless of whether naming changes are approved
>> or not] by default link against msvcr90 [from the mingw builds], and
>> also include the VC2008 runtimes.  That blesses the lives of the
>> VC2008 people, since they don't have to worry quite as much about
>> differing runtime library incompats.  And it probably wouldn't be too
>> hard to link against it from mingw.  Is it possible using the cross
>> compiler tho?
>> Thoughts?
>> -=r
>>

> AFAIK, none of the mingw32 packages for the different linux
> distributions bundle msvcr90 libraries.
>
> Without those, after installing (macport or apt-get package) manually
> find/build/install the msvcr90 libraries to properly link to the
> specified runtime.
>
> After that, if the user wanted to execute using Wine (to run
> specs/test and verify the build doesn't segfault) they will need to
> follow the winetricks:
>
> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-a0aa6667e9ba22fad996f7f0d51dc7d161087611
>
> Another issue I see with this, I tell ruby configure about it, but
> there is a MSVCRT chooser script that can fake/hide the trick for us.
>
> I'm starting to think that is we are letting MSVCR90 be the default
> runtime, why I should bother with MinGW at all.
>
> I should be building Ruby with VC2008 instead...

That seems like quite a lot of work for the linux cross compiling
crowd.  Of course, Charlie would probably say they don't need to link
against msvcr90 they can just link against msvcrt6 and it should work
:)

My concern with it is would we have to be distributing tons of
diferent msvcrt runtimes [like v 7.1 for the 2005 folks, etc.], if
they link against those?  Is there any benefit with trying to not use
msvcrt6 from VC6?  I hear rumors that it isn't as thread safe? Is it
slower do we know?

I suppose the reality is that most ruby programmers [and extension
developers] at on Linux or OS X, so perhaps we should cater to them by
making msvcrt.dll 6 the default?
I prefer mingw because of the speed, but that's just my personal
opinion.  The cross compile stuff is nice, too.  I'm ok with sticking
with msvcrt6.
Thoughts?
-=r