[Rubyinstaller-devel] Moving Ruby 1.9.1 forward on Windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 14:40:13 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps we should [regardless of whether naming changes are approved
> or not] by default link against msvcr90 [from the mingw builds], and
> also include the VC2008 runtimes.  That blesses the lives of the
> VC2008 people, since they don't have to worry quite as much about
> differing runtime library incompats.  And it probably wouldn't be too
> hard to link against it from mingw.  Is it possible using the cross
> compiler tho?
> Thoughts?
> -=r

AFAIK, none of the mingw32 packages for the different linux
distributions bundle msvcr90 libraries.

Without those, after installing (macport or apt-get package) manually
find/build/install the msvcr90 libraries to properly link to the
specified runtime.

After that, if the user wanted to execute using Wine (to run
specs/test and verify the build doesn't segfault) they will need to
follow the winetricks:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-a0aa6667e9ba22fad996f7f0d51dc7d161087611

Another issue I see with this, I tell ruby configure about it, but
there is a MSVCRT chooser script that can fake/hide the trick for us.

I'm starting to think that is we are letting MSVCR90 be the default
runtime, why I should bother with MinGW at all.

I should be building Ruby with VC2008 instead...