[Rubyinstaller-devel] Optional DevKit gem install request

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 09:31:06 EDT 2009

I'm requesting that the upcoming DevKit gem be able to be optionally "pre-installed" from the installer at the same time one installs the base Ruby install.

Given that DevKit is such an important part of Win32-based Ruby environments that do not already have a build environment, I feel this option is a more user friendly alternative than requiring a new user who wants to be able to have gems build native extension perform the following:

1) Download OCI
2) Run the installer
3) Open a command prompt
4) Type "gem install devkit"

While I don't think the OCI should be burdened with too many pre-installed gems, I also think that the DevKit gem is such a critical component of a working Win32 Ruby system that it should be treated more of as a "Super Gem" and allowed to be optionally preinstalled.

I also like the idea that DevKit is a gem so that if and when it's time to move to GCC-4.4.0 from MinGW, the upgrade should (hopefully) be easy.

Thanks for considering the proposal.