[Rubyinstaller-devel] Pik and GEM_HOME, GEM_PATH and my environment

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:30:34 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Luis Lavena<luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I wanted to share my lovely experience so far using Pik...
> I just love it!
> Gordon: thank you for making by batch files (rb18 and rb19) deprecate
> so easily :-D

Thanks for trying it out!  Your input has been most helpful.

> Anyhow, been trying to put this into Pik, but I'm stuck. Since
> GEM_HOME should also be in the PATH (with \bin)... wonder:
> Shouldn't switch_path_to defer it's writing and return the resulting
> PATH? In that way, I should be able to hook, under the same PATH of
> GEM_HOME, instead of default to ENV['PATH'] as is right now.

Have a look at the gem_home branch on github.

I made some updates yesterday, and I think it will work like you need it to.

There are basically 3 more things I'd like to do before the next release.
   #  Pik adds a line to the bottom of the pik.bat file that rubygems
generates.  I need to make this more robust.  In some edge cases, it
will end up adding multiple lines, which causes strange results.
   #  Make the 'add_gem_home' command a little more user friendly.
Right now you have to type in a path for each version of ruby that Pik
knows about.  There should be a "default" option that uses

  #  Wire up the --system flag.  This will make persistent changes to
the Windows environment.  It won't make changes to other open command
sessions, but I'm fine with that.  I'll just document it thoroughly.
I'm waiting on this until I understand the way the current installers
write to system environment and/or user environment.

Please keep the feedback coming!

> Thank you!

And Thank you!