[Rubyinstaller-devel] Rip

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 15:46:37 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Charles
Roper<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>> Is quite interesting how Chris used RUBYLIB and PATH, but the usage of
>> symlinks is not good for us on Windows.
> It would be OK for Vista/Win7 users, just not for pre-Vista users, surely
> (of which there are a lot still, I know)?

For you to use mklink you need symlink permission, which is not
available to all user, only ones with administrative permissions.

Try this: Increase the UAC to the maximum, and then try to create a
symlink on a standard command prompt, you will get a permission

That's why I've copied elevated form the powertoys of vista to my repository:

Using elevated I can call mklink with the UAC prompt.

Anyhow, I believe that a simple yaml file could easily replace the
symlink, since it's only used for the current and active environment,
nothing else.