[Rubyinstaller-devel] ri documentation included in final installer?

Phillip Gawlowski cmdjackryan at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 10:00:58 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Luis Lavena<luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:

> Download on demand is not as easy as may sound, and also jump the
> complexity of the installer itself.

Point well taken. However, that is the problem that the installer team
has to solve. ;)

> One way is putting it on a way of "select the components to be
> installed", which I'm wanting to avoid (to keep the clicks to the
> minimum).

Well, sensible defaults would be needed there. The trouble is, that
finding these out would need a usability study, which costs money.

Though, during development you could run a blind A/B test, and have
the installer send back inforamtion to a central server, and then
slice and dice the data to find out what's most commonly installed
(i.e. which options are checked, where is Ruby installed to, these
things).

That, however, would create an enormous workload for the project at large. :(

> The other is a the successful installation screen, but that means
> another installer to be downloaded (something we are thinking of).

Which is a) another click (as you put it ;), and b) much more of a
burden on the users than an option to download the docs from within.
An option would be to download an installer from the website (the same
that would install documentary if you did this step manually), and
simply execute it once the Ruby interpreted has done its tasks.

I'm strictly speaking from a user's perspective. And while the target
audience are programmers and sys admins, we all know how lazy *those*
are. ;)

> The issue over there is that a installer that bundles everything and
> one with just the docs are too much to maintain. I would rather keep
> them separated and offer a link in the menu shortcuts to go the
> website to grab the installers.

Well, a "docs only" installer introduces an additional script ot the
build process. A lot of the work would be a one-time cost, I think.

It'd be the same workload as maintaining a "Ruby non-doc" and a "Ruby
including docs" installer, in the end.

Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget