[Rubyinstaller-devel] ri documentation included in final installer?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 09:35:19 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Phillip
Gawlowski<cmdjackryan at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Luis Lavena<luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree that I would love to split them, but going back to the original message:
> On the grippind hand, maybe you can make it a downloadable component
> in the installer? Thus, if somebody wants the docs installed, the
> installer downloads them on demand. That would kill two birds with one
> stone (and an "all inclusive installer" for corporate deployment. I'm
> thinking Windows Service Packs here, whihh download only what's
> needed, but are available as a full download for corporate
> deployments).
> Phillip Gawlowski

Thank you Phillip for chiming in.

Download on demand is not as easy as may sound, and also jump the
complexity of the installer itself.

One way is putting it on a way of "select the components to be
installed", which I'm wanting to avoid (to keep the clicks to the

The other is a the successful installation screen, but that means
another installer to be downloaded (something we are thinking of).

The issue over there is that a installer that bundles everything and
one with just the docs are too much to maintain. I would rather keep
them separated and offer a link in the menu shortcuts to go the
website to grab the installers.