[Rubyinstaller-devel] ri documentation included in final installer?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 15:33:00 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Jon<jon.forums at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What about a installer just for the Docs?
>>
>> Also, keep in mind that CHM file is not going to offer help for "ri"
>> or "help" in IRB.
>>
>> This installer could include any of the cool and free Book of Ruby
>> available, or the 1st edition of Programming Ruby, since was handed
>> over to us (RubyInstaller project).
>

> Personally I *really* like this option (for many reasons) especially if both installers are predominantly featured in the download area.
>
> I'm not as familiar with Inno as I am with NSIS, but it would be cool for the Doc installer to attempt to find it's default install dir based upon the install dir chosen for the main Ruby installation.

Yes, is possible using the exact same AppId for the documentation
installers. Need to verify it and how the uninstall process be
affected. I believe is doable.

> Power users of course can install wherever, but for the person just wanting to install in the same location as their Ruby install, they just keep clicking Next -> and everything is installed under one dir.

The idea of the Runtime was get it out of the box soon, but took us
(ala: me) a lot of time get it out of the door.

Now that preview1 is out, and we got some feedback, is time to start
collecting the feature request and value those with our goal list ;-)

Candidates for better documentation than "Programming Ruby" are:

The Little Book of Ruby, 1.1MB:
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Little-Book-Of-Ruby

The Book of Ruby, 2.9MB:
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Book-Of-Ruby

Let's start a new thread about this, since Programming Ruby 1st
edition has become so old and sometimes is inaccurate reference.

Now, for Ruby-core and Stdlib, the option will be a CHM file.

Sounds good?