[Rubyinstaller-devel] ri documentation included in final installer?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:30:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Jon<jon.forums at gmail.com> wrote:
>> CHM is way faster to search and find documentation, and was more in
>> the lines of Windows.
> One wrinkle I see is that RubyGems will create ri and rdoc documentation upon gem installs, and I believe that any gem that opens up a core class like Module, Class, etc will cause ri to display only partial info about the enhanced core class.
> For example, I get these unhelpful results...
> D:\Jon>ri Class
> -------------------------------------------------------------- Class: Class < Object
>     Allows attributes to be shared within an inheritance hierarchy, but where each
>     descendant gets a copy of their parents' attributes, instead of just a pointer
>     to the same. This means that the child can add elements to, for example, an
>     array without those additions being shared with either their parent, siblings,
>     or children, which is unlike the regular class-level attributes that are
>     shared across the entire hierarchy.
> D:\Jon>ri IO
> Nothing known about IO
> Very frustrating if you happen to be offline, sleep deprived, and have forgotten the details on your favorite object.
> Maybe there's a clever way to hook ri so that you could wrap a custom header/footer message around whatever ri wants to return and alert the user to check out the CHM that contains the docs on core and std lib?

Well, what about a faster ri version that do not fill the filesystem
with so many files? I found "ri" so slow, and decided not to use.

Also, personally disabled RDoc generation on gem installation:

C:\Users\Luis>type .gemrc
:benchmark: false
:update_sources: true
:bulk_threshold: 1000
:verbose: true
- http://gems.rubyforge.org/
- http://gems.github.com
:backtrace: false
gem: --no-ri --no-rdoc --env-shebang

(the --env-shebang is to avoid adding C:/Path/to/Ruby in the stub scripts).

Anyhow, good point that you raised, and I'm willing to go any route
that ends being a win/win situation:

* Can be easily generated and automated.
* Compact file size to distribute installer.