[Rubyinstaller-devel] ri documentation included in final installer?

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:23:34 EDT 2009

> CHM is way faster to search and find documentation, and was more in
> the lines of Windows.

One wrinkle I see is that RubyGems will create ri and rdoc documentation upon gem installs, and I believe that any gem that opens up a core class like Module, Class, etc will cause ri to display only partial info about the enhanced core class.

For example, I get these unhelpful results...

D:\Jon>ri Class
-------------------------------------------------------------- Class: Class < Object
     Allows attributes to be shared within an inheritance hierarchy, but where each
     descendant gets a copy of their parents' attributes, instead of just a pointer
     to the same. This means that the child can add elements to, for example, an
     array without those additions being shared with either their parent, siblings,
     or children, which is unlike the regular class-level attributes that are
     shared across the entire hierarchy.

D:\Jon>ri IO
Nothing known about IO

Very frustrating if you happen to be offline, sleep deprived, and have forgotten the details on your favorite object.

Maybe there's a clever way to hook ri so that you could wrap a custom header/footer message around whatever ri wants to return and alert the user to check out the CHM that contains the docs on core and std lib?