[Rubyinstaller-devel] ri documentation included in final installer?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:00:29 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Jon<jon.forums at gmail.com> wrote:
> While testing out 1.9.1 preview1, none of my ri Class, ri Object, ri IO queries came back with anything as the share/ri tree is missing.

The ri and rdocs docuements generated a 8MB additional size, even with
high compression due being so many files.

When installing, those took long time to extract and verify stamping.

To reduce the installer and the installing process time, I decided to
remove those (see all the --no-ri and --disable-install-doc options of
the recipes).

> I see that the installer creates Start menu links to ruby-doc.org, and I'm wondering if the plan is to include the ri docs only for the final installer but none of the previews.

The links are in current One-Click and I thought will be good to have
those in the new version.

> I think that's fine if that's the plan.

The plan is integrate the Compiled HTML Help
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help)

Gordon Thiesfeld worked on that and there was a feature request to
have it bundled with the installer:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=16782&group_id=167&atid=718

CHM is way faster to search and find documentation, and was more in
the lines of Windows.

File allocation on Windows sucks, and ri is not Windows-friendly in that way.

The CHM generation needs to be automated, and maybe supplied with a
CSS style to pair with the new website contest.

I see the value of having ri and "help" from IRB, but personally I
don't use them and revert to tools like APIdock or
api.rubyonrails.org.

Please guys let me know if I'm wrong, this can be easily fixed now
that automated installers can be easily updated.

Cheers,