[Rubyinstaller-devel] Additional FAQ questions for review

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 01:31:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Jon<jon.forums at gmail.com> wrote:

>> More to come on this.
>>
>> And thank you for taking the time and tackling the documentation
>> aspect of the project. It has been neglected a lot by me :-P
>
> No problem and it helps me better understand the issues with native Ruby extensions which I've purposely avoided for too long.

Replied to that, hope the answers shed some light to the compiler issue.

> [...]
>
> In fact, I think we need a Wiki page dedicated to "Building Compatible Native Windows Extensions with MinGW".  Too long of a title, but it should pull together a lot of the knowledge you and others have developed into a single place.  For example, summarizing info from your blog posts on blog.mmediasys.com and pulling info from posts I've seen from Roger Pack, Charlie Savage and others, 1.8 and 1.9 extensions via "fat gems", ruby ffi options, etc.

That kind of information will be great to have. Basically, I've
rebuild sqlite3-ruby and mysql-gem to be 1.8 and 1.9 compatible,
fat-binaries and cross compilable:

http://github.com/luislavena/sqlite3-ruby
http://github.com/luislavena/mysql-gem

> Not that I think we need to duplicate info, but I think there's a lot of value with tying the info together into a clear summary, all in one place for someone looking at building native windows extensions and needing to get spun up on the key technical issues.  To me this education goal seems to fit well with the other project goals.

Yes! you're correct, is not only making the life of Ruby users easy,
but also make the life of Ruby developers that create tools easy too
;-)

> More on this idea once we update the FAQ with those last couple of issues.

Awesome! A huge thank you for taking the lead on the doc part of the project!

Regards,