[Rubyinstaller-devel] Additional FAQ questions for review

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:29:34 EDT 2009

> More to come on this.
>
> And thank you for taking the time and tackling the documentation
> aspect of the project. It has been neglected a lot by me :-P

No problem and it helps me better understand the issues with native Ruby extensions which I've purposely avoided for too long.

While I've still got some spare time at work, I plan on looking into consolidating more of the documentation for the GitHub wiki which will hopefully be useful when your new web site gets completed.

In fact, I think we need a Wiki page dedicated to "Building Compatible Native Windows Extensions with MinGW".  Too long of a title, but it should pull together a lot of the knowledge you and others have developed into a single place.  For example, summarizing info from your blog posts on blog.mmediasys.com and pulling info from posts I've seen from Roger Pack, Charlie Savage and others, 1.8 and 1.9 extensions via "fat gems", ruby ffi options, etc.

Not that I think we need to duplicate info, but I think there's a lot of value with tying the info together into a clear summary, all in one place for someone looking at building native windows extensions and needing to get spun up on the key technical issues.  To me this education goal seems to fit well with the other project goals.

More on this idea once we update the FAQ with those last couple of issues.

Jon