[Rubyinstaller-devel] gcc 4.4.0

Mikko Lehtonen scoopr at iki.fi
Wed Jul 1 18:16:03 EDT 2009

Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Roger Pack<rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I noticed that mingw just released a gcc-4.4.0 with only dwarf
>> exception handling supported.
>> Any thoughts on this? Would it "work" for ruby on windows?
> I haven't found any performance difference between 3.4.5 and 4.3 for
> Windows, but could try 4.4.0
> AFAIk, for the dwarf support, it will only require the dll for
> throwing exceptions across boundaries. I don't see a problem with
> that, except the linking.
> But maybe I'm wrong?

   Yes, but that, and other c++ changes that happened over the years,
   changed the c++ ABI. I'm just a bit worried that pre-compiled windows
   gems might be a tad incompatible.

   Though now that I think of it, a) the same c-runtime is used
   b) 'standalone' code (contained wholly within the extension) should be
   just fine, c) extensions that interface with third-party c++ code
   would probably need to offer the compiled lib anyway as few offer
   mingw versions anyway. So this *might* be total hyperbole

   Qt comes to mind as an extreme example that might fail, they seem to
   distribute mingw compiled libs and it is a beast of a project to
   compile.. But rubyqt might be fine to distribute custom-compiled lib?

   Would it be indicated in RUBY_PLATFORM on which gcc it was compiled?

   Personally I would prefer using 4.4 from the start, so everyone would
   be on the same decade on the compilers, but that would be another
   round of testing, worrying and delaying, on rubyinstaller and
   devkit. And the gcc 4.4 release is *very* fresh itself.

Mikko Lehtonen