[Rubyinstaller-devel] question on bat files

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Sat Jan 31 15:53:24 EST 2009

On 31/01/2009, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are too obscure and contains lot cruft that I personally will like to
>  > avoid. Being one of those having two interpreters in the path at the
>  > same time (with the exact same name).
>

> So you're saying just leave it be, is that right?
>  The only functionality I'm losing currently is that is c:\ruby18\bin
>  is in the path, I can't run
>  c:\ruby187\bin\gem.bat
>  without taking it out of the path first.
>  I guess you may have a point though--how many people are going to have
>  more than one version of ruby installed and be using both
>  simultaneously?
>  Then again maybe people would do that with 1.8.6 and 1.9, so they can

People also expect they can move the ruby folder and it will still
work, or at least they might.

So hardcoding the path may fix one obscure case and break one less obscure one.

If you are concerned about running the right ruby do what
distributions do - compile with executable suffix. Then you do not
have to switch. THe in terpreters are named didfferentlyIf that did
not work that would indeed be a problem with ruby.

Thanks

Michal